The Hanseatic Museum and Schøtstuene are situated centrally on Bryggen in Bergen. The museums show how the German merchants from The Hanseatic League lived and worked. From 1350 to 1750 these merchants traded stockfish and grains from their office in Bergen. The Hanseatic Museum opened in 1872 and Schøtstuene in 1938.
Schøtstuene is to be found next to St. Mary’s Church. These rooms were assembly halls for the Hanseatic merchants during winter time. Due to the danger of fire, Schøtstuene were placed separately behind the other office buildings. In winter hot meals were served here. The buildings were also used for teaching and as courtrooms, meeting rooms and party rooms. The museum consists of three assembly rooms and a kitchen.